Berries are one of my favorite snacks.
The Blueberry Council states:
“The health benefits of blueberries are even bigger than you might know. They’re low in fat, have just 80 calories per cup, and scientific studies show that blueberries contain a category of phytonutrients called polyphenols. This group includes anthocyanins, which give blueberries their blue color. Research suggests that polyphenols have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can play an important role in helping to lessen the inflammatory process associated with chronic conditions like cardiovascular disease, cancer, and age-related cognitive decline.”
Do you love blueberries? Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy this nutritious seasonal fruit.
- Mixed into plain or vanilla yogurt. Try at breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- Add blueberries to salads with light balsamic or champagne vinaigrette.
- Instead of jelly, top blueberries onto 1 piece of whole wheat toast with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Drop some blueberries into your water bottle for natural, refreshing flavor.
- Take a trip to local farm and pick your own blueberries and check out the other fresh produce for a summer meal or snack
- Make a fruit salad to bring to your next cookout