A deficiency of these nutrients can damage the hair root, thus making follicles unsalvageable. Lack of protein in your diet, will cause the hair to break off as it grows through the scalp.
Ensuring your post-surgery diet is rich in protein and the appropriate vitamins and minerals can help lessen the severity of hair loss, or even prevent it. Here are some tips to make sure you’re consuming the right nutrients to protect your hair.
Tips for Minimizing Hair Loss after Weight-loss Surgery
- Consume a minimum of 60 to 80 grams of protein each day.
- Include a protein with every meal and snack.
- Use liquid or powdered protein supplements to meet daily protein intake goals.
- Take vitamin and mineral supplements as recommended by your doctor
- Eat a wide variety of healthy, nutrient-rich foods every day.
Lose Weight at Penn MedicinePenn can help you lose weight.
Learn about medical weight loss in Philadelphia, and the Penn Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Program at a free information session about weight-loss surgery in Philadelphia.
There, you will hear about your weight-loss surgery options, and how Penn can help you lose weight and get healthy for good.
Register for a free information session today.